Moor Park Mansion is a Grade 1 listed Palladian building, set within over 300 acres of landscaped Hertfordshire parkland. Originally built in the late 17th Century for the Third Earl of Bedford, Moor Park Mansion has had various renovations and extensions over the centuries to become the building it is today.
The artwork that graces the interior of the building was painted by Italian artists. Some of the most famous paintings are in the Thornhill Room which also has a stunning ceiling painted by Verrio in 1684-5.
The ceiling to the Main Hall and its Gallery gives the illusion of a dome. This was painted by Cipriani in the 18th Century following the style at the time. Visitors are encouraged to look up when entering the Main Hall, to fully appreciate this magnificent piece of art.
Moor Park was opened as a golf club in 1923. The Rickmansworth Urban District Council purchased the Mansion and surrounding acres of land in 1937 to stop any further development which was then leased to the golf club. The Mansion was used during World War 2 as the headquarters for the 1st Airborne Corps between 1944 and 1945; the Battle of Arnhem was planned at the Mansion during this time in the room now known as the Arnhem Room.
In 1994 the golf club purchased the freehold from Three Rivers District Council and the Moor Park Heritage Foundation was established. This was set up to protect the Chattels in the building such as the three Continental Chandeliers in the Main Dining Room and The Seasons in the Thornhill Room.
Nowadays, Moor Park Golf Club continues its ownership of the Mansion and grounds which has complimentary guided tours throughout the year organised by NADFAS (National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Society) volunteers.
NADFAS Tours for summer 2017 run from April to October and the dates will be available soon.
Tours start at 10.00am with the last tour departing at 11.00am. Groups of 10 or more should book in advance.